June 7, 2011

It always comes back

* watch for triggers!

No matter what you do, this grief will come back and bite you when you least expect it. As I said before, it's still there. It's there every day, but sometimes it's just not as heavy. But it's there and it definitely slapped me in the face yesterday. Remember this post? Well, yesterday was my first day back to work (again). I say again because it's the second year in a row I have taken a maternity leave, only this time I got to bring my baby home. I was so anxious about my return, but it ended up being fine and not as bad as I had expected it to be. I held it together dropping Joshua off (not to say that it would have been wrong if I bawled right in the middle of his daycare), but I'm not that type of a person. I don't cry in public and I just don't do that, which is part of the reason I said "everyone was fine" in the post from last year. The lot guy didn't specify WHO was fine, so what was the reason in telling him my baby died nearly four months ago? He doesn't need to know my story. Just let me walk to my car and be on my way. Well, last night, the evening crew was on and they of course recognized me. They obviously knew I had a baby, so she asked me the normal things, 'Did you have a girl/boy?', 'How old is he?', 'Do you have pictures?', blah blah... All completely normal until we reach to a certain point. Then it just kind of turned into an awkward terrible lie. This is how it went:

'And he has a sister/brother at home, right?'

Me: (thrown off) Umm... (thinking: oh shit! that's right! I told her she was 'fine' last year...shit, shit, shit!) yeah! A sister, that's right.

'How old is she now?'

Me: Oh...a little over a year (I mean, DEAD for over a year...)

'Do you have pictures of her too??'

Me: Umm....no, not any of her, just him.... (unless you want to see grave pictures! got a lot of those!!!) and I SWEAR she looked confused, like 'why does she have ALL these pictures of the one baby and none of her other one??' Well lady, I do, those pictures just tend to freak people out.

'Oh, I bet it's so hard having two babies at home, huh???' (probably thinking, damn! this girl just pops out kids every year!)

Me: Nope, not so much!

And with every question, I was literally inching closer and closer to the car thinking, WHY did I just not tell her she died last year? WHY am I lying about this? WHY am I not just running away? WHY is this my life? Nobody else has to put up with this crap, well, unless they've lost a baby. So, lesson learned. Lying and saying people are 'fine' when their really DEAD comes back to bite you in the ass. It just goes to show you that your life can be completely different, but it's still the same because you still have this grief. It doesn't go away. It will follow you everywhere and show up when you least expect it. *sigh* But, the bright side to all of this is, the minute I started getting upset over it, I saw a butterfly fly right by my car. :-)  It had to be Alexandra saying, it's okay Mommy... I'm here. You'll be okay. And I think I will be. I just miss her so much...still. xoxo

11 comments:

  1. oh maggie hugs!!! Im so sorry. I swear to god, what is wrong with people. why are they so nosey!!!! And its always the ones you tell that everything is fine. Not one person, not one questions me when I answer their question about how many kids I have when I dont include genesis. But as soon as I say three they want to know the names, the ages, where they are, what they are doing, are they with their dad... what does it matter! I have 3 kids that it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh ... so sorry :( Love the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh…I'm so sorry. What a terrible experience. Thank you for the advice too. I am only three months out from losing my son and who knows if I would have said "fine" at some point just to not have to deal with the situation in that moment. I'm sorry it came back around to you in this way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Maggie, my heart aches for you. I am sorry you had to have that conversation... again. I hope you can find some comfort knowing that this sweet man remembers Alexandra though!?

    x <3 o

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that guy just couldn't stop asking questions could he.
    Like the butterfly also...

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely butterfly, Alexandra knew her mommy needed her.
    I agree our society is just too nosy, so sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry that it came back to bite you. in total I am almost 13 years in and every now and then i still get asked the question of how many children do i have. I have taken to saying two because i think until i know this person better I am not going there and have to end up consoling them.
    Not sure if it is something you might do but maybe you could just write a little letter and pop it into the persons office. That way you don't have to try and make them feel better after you have explained it and then if they feel they can't deal you won't have to have "that" conversation again.
    Hope you get more butterflies.
    Lane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, sorry you were so bombarded w/ questions! Those are never easy when you have lost a child. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. The questions are always tough. I'm so sorry that she kept asking so many. <3 hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Questions are so difficult. I always have such a hard time with, "How many kids do you have?" If I say 4 and leave Devon out, I feel terrible. If I say 5 then I usually end up having to explain we lost our daughter. Most of the time this leads to others feeling awkward or bad that they brought it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love that you saw the butterfly from Alexandra. the questions are always tough and it's easier to give the answer they expect, but i'm sorry it came back to this. i wish this wasn't your life so you could have both babies in your arms.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved