February 20, 2012

Some things never change

“There’s no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were.” Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the U.S. whose son Doud died of scarlet fever at the age of three.


I saw this quote on Facebook and thought I would post it since today is President's Day. Isn't that the truth? Things never really do get back to the way they were. 

I still look at pictures and think if it was before or after Alexandra. If it was before, I think about how young and innocent I was. Pictures of me after Alexandra make me feel old. I look like I've been through hell and back in a way, at least that's what I think. 

I still see other little girls who would be around her age and wonder what she would have looked like or would have been doing now. 

I still have awkward moments with random people every so often who just don't know.... whether it's just someone at a store or someone who I might have just gotten to have known in the last couple of years. 

I still wonder what the fuck happened to my baby and why she isn't here. 

I still remember every unkind thing that was said to me after she died and still have a hard time forgiving the people who said them. Maybe it makes me a little resentful and unforgiving, but I'm sorry...I can't help it. 

I'm still scared to death something will happen to this new baby I'm carrying, despite the fact that I brought Alexandra's brother home safe and sound and in my arms. I know all too well that lightning CAN strike twice and I will never be that naive again like I was with Alexandra. I hate that. I wish I could feel good about something for once.

I still cry. 

So some things never change. I guess they just get easier to manage. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Maggie. So true! Hugs to you. Prayers for baby #3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs)) Maggie. That quote is so true... as is much of what you wrote about. It's easier to manage, but in many ways, this grief is still the same.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved