January 31, 2013

Born in Silence

Every so often, I see something that really hits home. Today it was this video that was shared on Facebook. If anyone has ever wanted to know more about stillbirth, this is the video to watch. It really captured all of the raw emotion of what this is like for so many families. I was watching it and it broke my heart all over again. I remember being in the hospital hearing other newborns cry, when my newborn never had a chance to. I remember seeing visitors come in to visit people's brand new babies...who were alive, while I shooed visitors away because I didn't want to see anyone. I only allowed people who were my closest friends to come. I remember going home to empty rooms, empty chairs, and changing tables with clothes folded neatly on top of them. I remember it all and I cannot believe I somehow made it through (kind of?) I guess. I mean, you really have no choice, BUT to make it through.  "‎3 million babies are stillborn around the world each year." That's one  baby and one family every 20 minutes (I think that's what it said). I was one of those families on November 16, 2009 and Alexandra was one of those babies. If there are that many babies dying every day, you would think something would be done about it or at least more awareness would be given. Maybe one day, there will be. Another nice thing about the video was since it showed all of those things people come home to without a baby (empty crib, unopened bottles, folded clothes, baby books...), if you had a stillbirth, it really brought you back to that day. But if you have not, then it let you imagine what it would be like. I think that is why a lot of people don't understand. People always say they can never imagine what or how it would feel for them. This video did a good job of showing how it truly is. Thank you to whomever made this and for bringing out some awareness on stillbirth.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Maggie, (((HUGS))). Stillbirth is the saddest way to lose a child and my heart will always go out to you. Alexandra will, also, always be in my heart. Love to you & your sweet family. Thank you for the Christmas card photos of all of you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved