February 13, 2011

Dear Alexandra

Note: there will be triggers here in this post.

Dear Alexandra,

Congratulations! You officially became a big sister to baby brother, Joshua on February 3, 2011 at 2:49 p.m. Oh, how I wish you could be HERE with him today, but if you have to watch over him instead, I guess that's what we will do. I thought of you so much that day. Almost every person at the hospital asked me if this was my first baby, but I told them no, Joshua is my second because you, my darling will always be my firstborn. Please do not feel that you have been replaced or forgotten. We will never forget you and we are always going to tell Joshua about his big sister, who watches over him every day. I hope that he can learn to love you as much as we love you today.

I was surprised at how hard it was for me to leave the hospital with your little brother. You would think I would feel nothing but happiness and have a huge smile on my face, but I didn't. All I thought of was when I was leaving the hospital with you. It was almost like a trigger in itself that I didn't see coming. I remember the day I left with you. It was the first time I was leaving the "safe zone" of the hospital and the first time I had to face the real world. I remember the nurse telling me how sorry she was for my loss. I remember being wheeled out of the room, holding nothing but a box of your things in a tiny, purple box. I remember crying because I was supposed to be leaving with you, but all I had were things you had worn and things to remember you by. When I left with your big brother, Daddy said, 'Look Maggie, you're not leaving with a box! You have Joshua!' I hate that we even have to think of that. I wish we could have been thinking, 'I can't wait for Alexandra to meet her little brother!' instead of those thoughts. But I will say that I was happy to be leaving with him in my arms. For once, I was able to be on the other side of it all, and people were oohing and ahhing over your little brother and congratulating us. It was such a different experience and so very bittersweet.

We took your brother to his first pediatrician appointment a few days after getting home and I had to fill out an information sheet. There was a box for "sibling names" and I had to leave it blank. I wanted so much to be able to write in your name and that made me sad too. Just because I didn't write it there, doesn't mean you aren't his big sister, just know that. We both know you are, but sometimes the real world is just not ready to accept that fact. I wish it was different.

I'm so worried that more and more people are going to forget you completely now that Joshua is here. But we will do our best to remember you, like we always do. We will make sure Joshua knows too. We will bring him to visit you when it gets warmer and make you be a part of his life, like you are for Mommy & Daddy. I hope he can learn to love you in his own unique way and I hope you can learn to show him some signs every now and then. So, congrats baby girl... be a great big sister to him and watch over him. You are and always will be our first daughter and we miss you so much these past few days.

Love,
Mommy

8 comments:

  1. Your post made me cry...I hope one day soon I will be able to write something soon. Congratulations on the new baby, I'm sure Alexandra will always watch over him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I'm sure Alexandra is a proud big sister watching over Joshua. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful letter to your sweet Alexandra! Congrats to the big sister and to the mama and daddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ***tears****

    I dont even know what to say to this....When you delivered him, I cried (as you know) and the FIRST thought I had was "she doesnt leave without a baby this time".....sigh...why do we know this life.

    I cried to "siblings" on the form....I dont know why this is how it has to be, but Joshua will love his sister just like you and Mark do and I will love them BOTH...him for being here with you and her for being there with ALyssa....both of them have a special part of me close to them and they can hug them for me all the time (((bear hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie, I have been struggling to get onto reading blogs since Griffyn was born and I am sp pleased to hear the Joshua has arrived safely into the world and its being looked upon by his darling sister. Enjoy your new baby - it is hard when your other babies are not here but its also amazing having the ones who are here with you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. *hugs* & congratulations on the birth of Joshua! I'm sure big sis Alexandra is proud. This may sound silly but I believe babies start out in heaven and know everything about life when they are born but as they grow older they forget heaven and so I always feel that our babies in heaven get to interact with the babies before they are sent down to earth. So with my way of thinking....I believe Alexandra has met Joshua :) (I apologize if you are offended or weirded out, I know its weird but I felt I should share this with you)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally get this...I am afraid people will forget Jonathan now that Joshua is here, but I am very quick to talk about Jonathan when the situation is appropriate so people don't forget that Joshua is my second baby boy. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved