It was
almost perfect. I went to a two-year old's birthday party yesterday with my family. Everyone was there and everyone was happy. For so many months, I had imagined and wanted a moment like this, where everyone was getting along. There was no tension and my husband and I were holding our niece in our arms, without jealousy and without sadness. It was the perfect family moment....well, almost. While I was actually able to feel genuinely happy about holding my niece for the first time since she had been born, I was reminded throughout the day that someone was missing. We were incomplete. Alexandra should have been there too. I should have been passing her around like everyone else to hold. I should have been answering questions about how she was growing up instead of answering questions about how I'm doing or how I'm feeling with a brand new pregnancy. Everyone should have been looking at two new babies instead of just the one. There should have been three grandchildren there instead of just two. My SIL should have been able to hold her niece too. As perfect as it seemed, I knew in my heart that it wasn't quite perfect. It makes me sad to know that it will never ever be perfect again. Someone is always going to be missing and I'm always going to feel that sadness and sense of incompleteness. I cried for the first time in a long time for Alexandra after I got home. Nearly ten months later and my heart is still able to feel as if it's broken. My heart hasn't felt like that for a long time, but in some strange way, it was also comforting to know I still love my baby girl so very much and miss her so much, it hurts.
((hugs))...that's all I can say.
ReplyDelete((((((((((hugs)))))))))) and **tears* with you too....I wont ever understand the pain that we have to live with? I wont ever understand why we cant be completely happy? I wont ever understand why 'almost' has to be included in everything =**(
ReplyDeleteIts not fair and im so sorry she was not physically there, but i know she was there at the same time....Im glad your SIL has been able to let you feel comfortable again. Im happy to hear you were holding your niece because I know how difficult that has been for you to do. You did a big step going to a kids party Maggie...not many can do that, so dont be so hard on yourself today...you have taken such big steps in the last few months...bigger than i can imagine taking...i love you and my sweet niece ALexandra forever!!!
I fear the day when we have a get together after my sister in law has her baby. Big hugs and thinking of <3 Alexandra <3
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are able to see your SIL again, I am sure it is a weight off your shoulders. I know what you mean about feeling good when you are feeling sad - seems like one way to connect with them on some level. Big hugs!
ReplyDeleteWe lost our daughter, Nara, 8 weeks ago. Our good friend Mark came by with his parents who were visiting from out of the area. They lost their infant son over 30 years ago...and it still hurts them so much.
ReplyDeleteKnowing they will never be in our arms again is so hard. HUGS!
ReplyDeleteI am proud of you for going to the party, that is NOT an easy thing to do.
ReplyDeleteI don't think our pain will ever be gone, it's a part of us until we meet them again. Your always in my thoughts and prayers ((HUGS)).
Your words are so close to my heart, as I have felt this way at EVERY family gathering since we lost Lilly and I expect to for awhile. *hugs* and thank you for sharing as this truly was a very touching post.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you were able to enjoy a family gathering and that there was no tension and that you were able to enjoy holding your niece.