First of all, I want to thank everyone who left comments or sent me an e-mail regarding last night's post. It was one of those times when you see something and it just sets you off and shoots down your mood entirely. For me, that was seeing an infamous Facebook status complaining about how hard life was because oh no... she had to take care of her newborn baby. Ugh. I'm in no way saying that parenting is easy or that it's not tiring to take care of a newborn baby. I definitely cannot speak from experience, but I can at least try and understand what being up all night is like with a crying infant. If only others would try and do that for some of us, this grief would be so much easier. Anyway, thanks to all. I don't know what will happen between us and the more I think about it, the more I am beginning to realize we were drifting apart before all this even happened. We are very different people and lead very different lives. For now, I'm just going to worry about me.
Moving on... back in February, I wrote to a local reporter telling her a little bit about Alexandra's story and how it would be very moving and comforting for bereaved parents everywhere to see an article written about stillbirth because the subject of babyloss is considered to be a taboo subject for so many people. It is hardly ever written about, which still frustrates me. Maybe if more people knew this happened, more people would know how to react when something like this happens. The reporter actually wrote me back and agreed that it was taboo and asked if it was okay if we would meet. I said I would be happy to share my story with her. That was six months ago and I'm still waiting. So, given this experience, I was shocked to come onto Facebook today and learn of an article written in Glamour of all places that was about babyloss! Since losing Alexandra, my magazines haven't exactly been priority reading, so I literally have piles of unread magazines all over my house (except for US weekly's...somehow, I find it very important to read about all the stupid celebrities). :) So after seeing there was an article in Glamour, I immediately went through some piles and read it right away. The article was perfect. One of the things she writes is, "How do you find strength in the face of tragedy? The honest answer is you don't. You take a breath, then another. You simply keep going." And isn't that what we're all doing? We just keep going.
For anyone interested in reading this article, check out September's issue of Glamour. It also touched on the father's side of grief, which I thought was a nice thing to include. It's a short article, but definitely worth your time!
Looking For You
5 years ago





















<3 I was so happy when Jen posted this on FB..it is so important for us to feel heard..you kinda had with 'finally' and then talking about the reporter lol...i thought she called, but im NOT surprised she didnt (sticking tongue out at her) ONE DAY we will be heard and understood and all that stuff...the only way is to KEEP talking and being heard, this woman just made hundred on BLMs happy by posting this article of her story...((hugs)) to our fellow sister being heard!!
ReplyDeleteI love the quote about strength. So many people think we are so "strong". I am glad that an article was written about the mom and the dad's side of grieving baby loss. It is such a taboo subject and that needs to change. Hopefully it will. I agree and think that if there was more talk about it, the reactions of those who have not experienced would be better.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Maggie! One breath at a time, one day at a time. That's all we can do. I will check out that article!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad there was an article. I haven't seen it yet though. I hope that the reporter will contact you.
ReplyDelete