Leaving the hospital was a lot harder than I thought. All of a sudden I realized I was leaving with empty arms. Instead of our little girl, I was holding a box. It contained the clothes she was wearing, her little cap, her pictures, a ring, and locks of her hair. This was not the happy going home moment I had imagined for the last few months.
We made arrangements to have Alexandra buried in a cemetary close to where both of our parents live. I cannot even imagine how hard this was for my husband. He had done all of the arrangements while I was in the hospital. We decided to have her buried with the other babies. The cemetary actually has a place called 'babyland'. Babyland. Babies should not die and it breaks my heart to know there is actually a specific place in the cemetary for babies to be buried. It's not right.
The next week was when we had Alexandra buried. We had a small, graveside service for her with just our immediate family. I couldn't deal with seeing the rest of our family and friends at that time. I knew everybody was hurting for us and wanted to support us, but facing so many people seemed too hard. The one thing I remember the most is how cold it was at the beginning of the service. My husband gave me his coat and by the end of the service when we were headed back to my parents, all the cold air had gone. The sun had come out and warmed up a little bit. I like to think it was Alexandra.
Looking For You
5 years ago





















How I remember riding in the wheelchair to the car and weeping because I knew that we were leaving her there...the funeral home went to get her the next day and oddly that made me feel better because the funeral home was closer to our house than the hospital.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that your family and friends were there to support you in your time of need. It is hard though to have to be civil when all you want to do is cry...
I hated leaving as well - we stayed a long time, through the night and into the morning. It is great you can write out your story, I have started it and I think it will take me a while to finish it.
ReplyDeleteI remember the day we left the hospital...I woke up to a screaming baby and thinking I won't be leaving the hospital with my screaming baby. *hugs*
ReplyDelete