July 28, 2010

"How has your relationship with your own mother changed since you lost your little daughter?"

Elaine, one of my newer followers from Waves Over Stones (yay!) asks me this question, "How has your relationship with your own mother changed since you lost your little daughter?"

First of all, not too personal at all! :)  I'm pretty much an open book on here. I always felt like I was closer to my own Mom when I was little. I never wanted to leave her side. I dressed like her. I acted like her (I probably still do! That's a little scary). And with my Dad dying at a young age, she was really all I had for a long time. Then, I got older and grew up. She started to be a "Mom" and I started to get an attitude about every little thing she did or said. I'm working on trying to make it better though...some days are harder than others like all relationships. However, we do get along and I do love her dearly. She was the first person my husband called when we found out about Alexandra and my parents were there the entire time I was in the hospital. After I was released I stayed at my Mom's for a week and I remember thinking it was good for me. It was like I was back "home" again. She spoiled me rotten and made me meals and it was like I was fifteen all over again. I even felt a little sad the day I left to go home.

As far as my relationship with her, I don't think it has changed any more than it was before Alexandra. Mother's Day was a little awkward because I kept waiting for her to say, "Happy Mother's Day" to me and I got nothing, only because she was afraid of upsetting me. So, I had to tell her I wanted to hear it and I needed to still hear Alexandra's name and talk about her. That's what helps the most. Acting like nothing ever happened is worse. I know people want to protect my feelings by not addressing Alexandra, but in the end that is worse. I'm already heartbroken and sad over this, so the silence won't "protect" me at all. However, after I was up front with her and explained everything to her, I think she understood and now it's better. She came with us to Alexandra's butterfly release and she does still think of her as her granddaughter, so that's all that matters to me.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear this....I wondered who took care of you when you got home, i mean i assumed it was Mark, but glad to see that you had someone on demand lol...for meals and stuff...I was so happy to hear she came to the release, people do not realize how important those things are for us. Just for us to know they acknowledge their lives and consider them...that is all we need...we have enough already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def agree that not saying anything is worse and I'm glad you talked to her about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to talk to her about it. I think I have to do that with my mom too cause I know she doesn't say things because she doesn't want to hurt me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know for my mother it was very difficult for her to know that I was going to give birth to my dead baby instead of "taking care of it" like they did back in the day when "these things" were not talked about.

    In the beginning she did not want to see any pictures and thought it all a little odd that we had them and that we talked about her and wanted to acknowledge her. She thought it would be easier to just move on.

    I showed Claire's pics to my sister and aunt and cousin and then my mother came to tell me she was ready and that she was sorry that she had acted the way she did and that she was ready to see and talk about Claire.

    Ahh, relief for her and for me.

    We have always been very close... and now even closer since she has let go of the her archaic (in my opinion!) way of thinking!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the avoidance of saying anything to prevent upsetting is worse. I am glad that you have a good relationship with your mother.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved