July 30, 2010

I thought I could...and then I couldn't.

Last weekend, I had an opportunity to go to a family picnic for my husband's side. It would have been the first time seeing people since losing Alexandra. I had plans to go, see people I haven't seen for a real long time, be supportive of my husband and suck it up and ignore the one person I did not want to see at all. I was going to act like I didn't care about her at all and ignore her completely. But then all of a sudden, all I could see was her being a new Mom to her newborn baby girl. All I could imagine was everyone oohing and ahhing over this darling little girl. I imagined her being passed around from person to person because every person just had to hold the new baby. I imagined people asking my SIL how old she was, what she could do now, how she enjoyed being a new mother and everything else. And finally, I imagined me crying the entire time and just making a terrible scene and having to leave. So, I didn't go and it really pissed me off and made me sad all at the same time. Angry because I couldn't make myself go and because in some way I'm almost letting "her" control where I go and who I see. Basically right now, it's if she's there, I don't want to see her. I was thinking I just didn't want to see her because I was so angry and upset with her. I completely forgot about how it would be to see her as a new mother with her new baby and that was all I had to think of to decide against going. That should have been us. We should have both been able to go and show Alexandra to everyone. We should have both been there with our new babies. It shouldn't have been all awkward. I should not have had to have any question of going there or not in the first place. There should not be this drama. Now in another two weeks, I get to decide if I want to go to another picnic. It's not looking good. I know I can't keep hiding from her and I can't keep avoiding this family because sooner or later, people are going to get hurt... but what about all this hurt we've had to deal with for the past eight months...and are still dealing with? I wish people could remember, hey guess what? We're hurting too. We're hurting every, single day.

9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry but I don't think I would be able to go either. It is still so hard to see babies and especially if they are being fussed over. I hope this all gets a little easier, but it is sure a slow process. Big Hugs! PS. I loved reading all the answers to your questions and congrats on 200 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh maggie, I just hate that this even has to be a reality. I wish Alexandra was here too and wearing a cuter (wink) outfit and just being able to bring smiles to your faces...its sucks that WE have to feel like the bad guys, when the reality is, you are still grieving. They may think that you are 'bitter' and 'jealous' and what ever other words they say, but they have NO idea what you are going through. I will add this to our list (some what) I have an engagement party in OCT. I said I would go because his friend was in our wedding went out of his way to come to my destination wedding etc. Well NOW i realize HELLLOOOO these other mothers who had their babies are going to be there. The ones I was pregnant before, the ones that are "mothers" in their eyes, and I am not. I will see people who i have not seen in years, let alone since she died. I just DONT want to go anymore, but I am hoping that they do not bring their babies (which they probably wont) but that wont mean there wont be "up all night, feedings, diapers" stories that they can all talk about while I sit there and wish someone would shoot me.

    You did good not going, no sense in stressing out my "Jumping Bean" anyway!!! besides, I am sure you and your husband had a good time anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, BIG hugs! It is not easy! I remember seeing my niece for the first time after losing Hudson, and I was a mess. If my brother wouldn't have practically thrown her in my arms, I probably wouldn't have held her. It was probably the hardest, yet most amazing moment at the same time. Its been 8 months since that day and its still hard for me. I know I still cry sometimes when I hold her. I don't know if these things ever get easier, but I'm hoping so!

    Maybe going to the next picnic will be tough, but you can always excuse yourself if you feel overwhelmed! The headache excuse always seems to work ;) You're a strong woman! I thing that this world has great things ahead for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. all i can say is i feel for you. i really really get where you are coming from, having my SIL with her new baby-i get it. it sucks. i am so sorry . it is not right. you should be showing your baby girl off. they should be growing up together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so sorry. i could do it either. it's so hard to have someone in your own family like this. sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all so hard and no one knows how hard. Be gentle and take the time you need. I'm going to be tested on this one next Sunday. I think I'm going to go for a short time and hide most of the time and I may skip all together too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry, and I understand. My SIL had a baby girl one month after we lost Payton. She has been HORRIBLE. She didn't call us at all the first month after then started calling after her daughter was born and every time it is always about her. All we keep telling her is when we are ready we'll let you know (honesty I don't know if I'll every be ready). You'll find when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry. It is so hard, I know how you feel. My sister just had a baby two weeks ago and I can't bring myself to go see her. It's too much and it's not fair! I agree, you will know when you're ready. Don't push it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely can relate to your thoughts. My SIL just delivered her newborn baby boy Aug 3. I think you did what was right for you and that's all you can do. If you did not feel like going for whatever reason that is definitely ok and you are entitled to not going. Being around a new baby and seeing others oh and ah is very difficult. You are still hurting and that's ok and should be expected. I dislike that people forget only because they "move on" quickly. You will definitely know when the time is right for you to go.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved