Someone told me today (from my family) to not live in the past and only think about the future. Shut the baby room's door, throw that carseat in the trunk, get rid of the baby things and just move on. Basically she's dead and I'm still living. Don't stop living my life just because she died. Yes, I realize that. I'm doing that every damn day. It's not like I've stopped living. The first few days yes, I did sometimes just sit in a chair and stare off into space thinking of what went wrong, why me, I want my baby back, why? why? etc. But the days went on and it got easier. I started to do things like watch T.V. again, go on the computer, talk to friends, laugh. I know they probably
had good intentions like everyone else who attempts to give me some kind of advice, but I really didn't need to hear that. Maybe that's how some people cope. Everyone copes and grieves differently. If you want to get rid of all of the baby related things, then do it. If you want to completely deny the fact a baby was even born, go ahead if that is what makes you feel better. But don't try and tell me how to cope and grieve. Don't tell me to forget about my own daughter and stop thinking about her. I am going to do everything in my power to honor and remember her the rest of my life. The future is in the future and right now it's hard to think about. I'm still wondering if there IS a possibility of a future baby. How can I focus on that if I still don't even know if that's real yet? It's nearly four months since losing Alexandra and it still amazes me of what people say. They think they know everything or their so oblivious in realizing what their saying really hurts more than anything. Well I have some advice for that and I think all Mommies would appreciate this. Just shut up. I learned a long time ago from my own Mom if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. So yeah, no thanks. I'll keep remembering Alexandra, my daughter I carried with me for almost nine months. I know she wouldn't want me to forget her and as her Mom that is one thing I know I can do. I know I can remember her forever. Just because I still think of her every day and still have her things in our house doesn't mean I'm stuck in the past. I'm moving on and taking Alexandra's memory with me every step of the way.
Oh hun. That would be hard to hear. I'm sorry you had that experience. Do what works for you first and foremost. sending love.
ReplyDeleteOh, Maggie. You have every right to grieve the way you want to and for as long as you want to. You just lost Alexandra 3 months ago. In two weeks, it will have been a year for me and I still have many days where I sit in a chair and stare at the wall for hours. I still have all of Ella's things out, too. I understand these people just want us to be happy and "better," but they just don't understand that we need to just be with our grief. You do whatever brings you comfort and peace.
ReplyDelete**I promise to have Alexandra's butterfly up this weekend. I'm working on them tonight. :)
That must have been so hard to hear. Some people just do not understand. I love how you said you are taking Alexandra's memory with you every step of the way.
ReplyDeleteOh thanks ladies! and Bree, I can't wait to see it! :)
ReplyDeleteYou know what I think when people give advice like that? Our grief makes them feel uncomfortable so they just want us to hurry up and get back to our old selves...You take whatever time you need to grieve and ignore the "well intented" advice ((HUGS))
ReplyDeleteOh Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that you are hurting so badly today. I am sure your family is just feeling helpless and powerless and want to help but they obviously don't have an inkling of how much those kind of remarks are able to set you back instead of helping you move forward.
Maybe your well intentioned family and friends need a little guidance in how to help you? I really am not trying to plug my own website here I just want to let you know that I have a page dedicated to family and friends and I know that even my own mother found it helpful and apologized for comments that she had made that she thought would ease my pain. She had no idea and never thought of how I, as someone who has lost a child, may interpret her well meaning advice. It's worth a shot to help them help you?
In any case, move at your own pace, do what makes you feel comfortable... whatever that may be... and always remember to smile through your tears.
Jaime
xo
Well said, Maggie. I had so many people say *stupid* things, well-meaning but stupid nonetheless. You are doing a beautiful job at remembering Alexandra. What people don't realize is all we HAVE are memories, how could possibly let go of those!? You are a beautiful mommy to Alexandra and I hope you can forget the foolish things people say... Thinking of you dear xo
ReplyDeleteEveryone is different in their grief and there's not a right or wrong way and it's too bad more people don't understand and accept that. I'm sorry you had to suffer through those preachy comments. I'm just trying to feel my feelings without judgement and I feel like as long as I keep focused on that I'm in the healing process that is necessary. Take as much time as you need. You'll never forget Alexandra and I'll never forget Gracie. My aunt who's 88 still remembers and loves her first baby who was stillborn and she went on to have 12 more babies.
ReplyDeleteYeah, ummm no thanks is right! You remember her how ever you want. Good for you for saying so. It's so easy for people who have never been through this to have such "well intended" advice. I met somone who lost her daughter 5-6 years ago and her and her husband buy her age appropriate gifts each year for xmas and her birthday, all of those things are out for company to see when they come over. I was happy to hear them tell how open they are with everyone about remembering her.
ReplyDeleteKeep doing as you see fit for you and your husband.
When I read the beginning of your post, i was like "NO!" People just don't get it! Then, I read the end and I was literally giong, "Yeh!, you tell em!" Cheering you on! GOOD FOR YOU to stand up for yourself, to not let their blabble (i think I just made that word up) get to you. Way to go to stand up for your right to grieve and take however dog gone long you need!
ReplyDeleteAwe, I am sorry this happened. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe someone from your own family say that. Honey, grief has no time table. You take the time you need. They are ignorant people who just don't get it. I am so sorry this has happened. I am outraged for you. *huge hugs*
ReplyDelete