June 12, 2010

Alexandra's Butterfly Release

Today, my husband and I released butterflies for our little girl. I can honestly say this was so much fun! Alexandra's Grandma came too and I'm sure her cousin Alyssa & all of her other friends were there. I could feel her presence strongly today, just like the day we buried her. I cannot get over the peaceful calm that seems to come over me on days like this. It felt so special to give her new flowers and to release these beautiful butterflies just for her. It was so very cool to watch them fly away. A lot of them stayed nearby. My Mom even left a Winnie the Pooh bear for her. Such a lovely day and I'm so glad to have been able to do this. Tomorrow, we'll release the rest in our backyard.

On that note, I will leave you with this link if you want to go over and try a butterfly release of your own! Also, my thanks to Ann for introducing this site to me and giving me this idea! It is so much fun to do and I highly recommend it! I will be the first one to admit that some parts of it are kind of gross. If you want to do this and are easily grossed out by bugs, blood or whatever, either make sure your husbands/boyfriends are up to the task! Or... order butterflies that have already changed. :-)

Here are some pictures from the release too. On one hand, I feel so happy to have done this and on the other hand, I still cannot believe that in these photos is the grave of my own daughter. *sigh* But it's a beautiful resting place for her and a beautiful marker. I hope Alexandra likes it there and I know she does. It's so very peaceful. Many hugs, kisses and tons of love to you Alexandra! Enjoy those butterflies.

As you release this butterfly in honor of me,
know that I'm with you and will always be.
Hold a hand, say a prayer, close your eyes and see me there.
Although you may feel a bit torn apart,
please know that I'll be forever in your heart.
Now fly away butterfly as high as you can go,
I'm right there with you more than you know.
By Jill Haley

Alexandra

Alexandra's Mommy & a butterfly!


Babyland (it breaks my heart every time I think that there is actually a specific place for babies here). But it's very peaceful.

9 comments:

  1. So special!! I just realized the other day that what I like most about these moments is finding a way to connect with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a special, beautiful day. You are such a wonderful mommy to Alexandra :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome to release butterflies for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special day. ((hugs)) to you Maggie. I am sure Alexandra loves her butterflies you sent to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG we did the same thing on Nolan's Angel Day. A dear friend sent us butterflies to release. Then she framed that poem too! How ironic. I need to post pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaawww Maggie, how so very beautiful. Glad you felt such peace and that it was a really special time for you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie, I can NOT help but notice all the 7's on the picture with the butterfly all alone on the ground....It is truly amazing when you can do something special for your own child...but to release butterflies is a feeling only someone who does it can understand...Seeing these little miracles transform RIGHT before your eyes and then allow them their freedom is such a blessing...in a way the ones who stood behind to me had a little more of a connection...the one on FB where it stood on your foot HAS to have been a little sign from Alexandra that she is still there...and I like to think that the one that is on the metal plaque with numbers is Alyssa (since it has all the 7's)....It is bittersweet to say the least...to know that Alexandra has such a beautiful place, and then realize what that place actually stands for...As I said it before "our little angel" is also the phrase we chose for Alyssa and i can not tell you how MANY other things it could have been...Hmmm....these girls DO GET what they want dont they, the list is getting long sweetie...and i wish we had happier things in common and if these 7's keep up the magic we should soon enough!!! God bless you Alexandra and I am so happy Alyssa and you got to spend a beautiful day together....xoxox...

    ReplyDelete
  8. peace is wonderful and the butterflies seem so calming *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to release butterflies for Shealyn. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved