June 8, 2010

"My baby died."

This gets me every time, every single time. I'm six months out and I still have those moments every so often when someone asks me about the baby. "How's the baby doing?" How can a question so innocent make me so speechless and at a loss for words? That happened to me today and I knew it was coming. It was just a matter of time. I've parked in the same lot across the street from my work for a good five years. By now I feel like I have gotten to know a lot of the attendants. They know I'm a monthly parker and I say 'hello' and 'bye' every day. Every so often they will ask how I'm doing or like last year, noticed I was pregnant, which naturally led to all sorts of baby talk. After I returned to work back in February, the night attendant asked me this same question, but in a different way. I made the mistake then by saying, 'Oh yes, everyone is fine'. Now whenever I walk by after work, they give me this warm smile and I know their just thinking, 'oh, that girl must be so happy with a new baby and all'... Or maybe that's just me thinking that. Either way, I get annoyed every time I see them smile because in my mind, that's what they are thinking.

So, today I was just walking out of the lot and the morning attendant says his usual greeting and then asks, 'Hey! How's your baby doing?!' I froze. I wasn't really expecting it today because he had never asked. And it's not exactly something I want to bring up every day to let him know. "Hey...so just to let you know, my baby died." There are a few ways I can always answer. I can say, "Fine, thanks" like I did before and then hear the same question over and over again. I could start making things up like, 'oh yes, she's getting so big!' But I'm not a good liar and I never will be. Or I can just say those three words I've said over and over and thought in my head for the last six months and tell him the hard, honest truth, "My baby died". So, that's what I said. And I'm not sure if it's healing or if it's because I hate showing any kind of emotion because I'm such an introverted person, but I have the ability to say those words without breaking down crying. Those words clearly still have a lot of meaning to me, but I say and think them so many times. It's almost like I'm numb to it. Either that or it's some crazy superpower of a babyloss mother. The minute I said it, his face dropped, he gasped and said a genuine, "I am so sorry". He kept repeating it over and over and hugged me and then hugged me again. This was the guy who wanted me to get pregnant right after I got married. He noticed I was pregnant once I started showing.  He asked me if I knew it was a girl or a boy. He told me stores to get some baby things. He asked me when I was due. He was so excited and I'm sure he was hoping to hear something like, 'Oh, Alexandra is doing just fine, getting so big and I'm loving watching her grow every day'! And instead he heard, "my baby died". I almost felt sorry for him because of the disappointment I saw in his face. He kept saying, 'oh my god, I'm so sorry' over and over. Meanwhile a line of cars with impatient workers wanting to pay had started to form. And he didn't care, he kept hugging me. And I think because of that, as awkward as it was, his genuine reaction somehow made it seem not as bad. It's good to know a few people like that are still out there. Maybe we have some hope after all.

15 comments:

  1. That was so sweet. What a lovely person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *huge hugs* There are some good people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that question. I'm glad it was asked by a very good, sympathetic person who responded in a very caring way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a nice person!It is so strange feeling that we feel sorry for those people who just learned that our baby died!It happenned to me almost the same when I saw my friend after 5-6 months.She asked me "how is it going with the baby"I thought OMG, if I say that my baby died, she will be sad, disappointed..Anyway, I said that he is stillborn.I could see her sadness from her face in a second..We need such people around us, not the bitches!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am crying right now and strangely they're happy tears that you encountered someone who hugged you and said he was sorry. These people are few and far between. What a blessing they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been so hard but I am glad he was so nice! I always feel bad telling someone as well, it is such a weird experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ((Hugs)) there are some exceptional people out there...they are just caught in with some not so nice people, but the nice ones are there :) Thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this brought tears to my eyes. What a kind soul!!! And why can't everyone be like that!!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so uncomfortable and hard to know what to say in situations like that. I'm glad he showed compassion and didn't act weird about it, like a lady did to me at a cookout last Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog from Ter's With An Angel on my Shoulder. I can't begin to imagine what you have been through and how hard it must be to have to answer that question. He sounds like a genuine and caring person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tears here too. Nice man - now we just need to take his niceness and compassion and sprinkle it on the 'others' huh?.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (((hugs)))

    There's a guy at the gas station I go to alot and I guess he didn't ge the memo and asks me all thing time how the baby is. I havn't gotten the nerve to tell him other wise. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am like you, i hate showing any emotion to anyone. I can also say my babies died without showing emotion. I think some people think that i am just a cold bitch that doesnt care that they died and some people have looked shocked and asked how i could say it like that. i hadnt really thought about it until it was mentioned but my response was either i say it like i dont care or i am a blubbering mess. It is easier on everyone that way.

    I am so happy that he was so caring, he sounds so nice. Wouldnt it be nice if everyone had that kind of reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ((hugs)). i love that he hugged and didn't care about the line of cars. i love that you found some compassion and caring.

    i feel the same way, i went back to visit the school where i used to teach, and i heard "how's the baby" and "any children?" and "no baby yet?" from teachers, parents, and the principal. my answers was either "i lost him" or "my babies are in heaven."

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh maggie....another milestone :( its nice to know that even someone like a regular "parking attendant" can make us feel cared for and he is probably so sad too.....(((((hugs)))))) and ***tears***

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved