I did something today that I should not have done. I looked at old e-mails. It started off as an innocent thing at work trying to figure something out. Then I saw an e-mail to all three of my bosses telling them I would be right back in a little while. I had to go get an H1N1 shot. It was being offered at the department of health here on October 29, 2009 and everyone had been adament about getting me this shot. This was something I was terrified about for a good month or so. I heard stories about pregnant women having miscarriages and losing their babies days or weeks after getting this shot. There was no way in hell I was injecting my body with something that could compromise the life of my baby, especially when I was well into my third trimester. I was 32 weeks pregnant then. I was so very close. Every day the news talked about how vital it was for pregnant women to have this shot. My doctor urged me to get it. I was so skeptical about it, but I finally broke down and thought there was no reason not to get it. Nobody would be giving shots to pregnant women if it wasn't safe. The few that lost their babies was just some fluke, unfortunate coincidence. I would be fine. Plus, what if I did come down with some flu? I needed to do everything I could to make sure that didn't happen.
Well, I got it. And after looking at that one innocent e-mail today, all of the guilt and all of the what ifs and wish I could haves came back in full force. What if this stupid shot was what caused me to lose Alexandra? What if I had not have gotten it? Would she be here with me today? I was given that shot and two weeks later, she was gone after a normal, healthy pregnancy. My head tells me no, I'm crazy and this just happened. Plus, one of my friends and I'm sure many countless pregnant women (I was not the only one who went there that day) were given that shot and they have either gone on to have healthy babies or are still pregnant. So that logic is the only thing that seems to comfort me without making me feel this one innocent action on my part was what killed my baby. I guess I will always wonder, especially since we never got any actual answers to what caused Alexandra's death. I just hate it. Enough time since the dreaded e-mail incident today has passed by now that I'm over the fact that this probably was not the cause, but it brought my guilt back. I'm back to feeling guilty for something I had no control over at all. I have to keep telling myself I did the best I could, but it's so hard. Then there's the fact that I once again have asked my husband's parents not to bring their pregnant daughter to some family outing because it makes ME too uncomfortable and too sad. This only adds onto not only the guilt I have towards Alexandra's death, but creates an entire new guilt of feeling like a selfish bitch. Don't bother showing up because it makes ME feel weird and awkward. Never mind the feelings my SIL may have of feeling like I don't want to see her. It's all about me. Grief makes you selfish, so deal with it. I wish I could stop the guilt and stop this madness. I wish I could stop thinking of the fact my SIL will have her baby and I won't. I'm sure she doesn't sit around thinking about me all the time, but I sit around and her happy, pregnant self is constantly on my mind, almost as much as Alexandra is. This is so hard. If Alexandra was here today, I could have been looking forward to the arrival of my first niece! Instead, all I've been doing is dreading it. This grief is maddening. So what's the lesson here? Don't ever look through old
e-mails. Delete, delete, delete! :-)
Looking For You
5 years ago





















((Hugs)) to yo Maggie. Thinking about you right now.
ReplyDeleteUgh, this is so hard! I think about that stupid shot sometimes as well as I had it about two weeks before I went into labor. So annoying. I am sorry about your SIL, but please try not to worry about it - you can only do what you can do.
ReplyDeleteUghhhh, this post was a dagger in my heart for you...Maggie, I NEVER got that shot. I refused to and my dr was not pushing it anyway..I still lost Alyssa and still have no reasons...the email was yet another *trigger* that we have lost our daughters. It is so scary for us to not have a reason, but then i think what if we DID have a reason, and that reason prevents us from being able to carry babies...there will never be a day that I dont question what if i did this different...just this weekend I was convinced it was the laptop and the microwave that i didnt avoid near my belly...maybe that cant come up on an autopsy...but I literally would be here with a list of reason and things I DID...you are an amazing mother maggie there was nothing that you did to cause it..im sure u did everything to prevent it....I wish I had a good reason why we are these mothers...i dont. I know one thing for sure...i have gained some lifelong friends from this...that i guess would be something good out of all this bad right? And yes I agree...DELETE DELETE DELETE...or avoid all old emails...lol((hugs))
ReplyDeleteGrief does make us selfish and so it should! We have the right to turn inwards and mourn the loss of our babies for as long as it takes. It does not give us the right to me mean however it does excuse us from many things... and all things baby related!
ReplyDeleteIf others don't get it then they are too are being selfish, however in a very different way. They need to get beyond themselves and their thoughts of how we are acting/reacting. If they could even get a glimpse of what we go through on a daily basis then maybe they would get it.
Not that I would ever wish anyone to feel the way we do because it is so overwhelming, all consuming and just when you think you are having a "good" day... SLAM... you are hit with an email, or a song, or a picture, or a thought...
All this to say, do it your way, Maggie! There is no right or wrong. Delete the emails if you want, avoid people if you need to, stop going to places if need be... and hope that no one close to you ever really will understand the loss through experiencing it themsleves but hope that they can be a little more sympathetic.
xo
Oh, sweetie ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteYou didn't cause Alexandra to die but all blms think it's their fault. We will like it's our job to protect them and we feel like we've failed...I hate those sneak attack grief moments...minding your own business and then "BAM!"
Ugh, my brother's sister-in-law was expecting a baby the same time when I was pregnant with Lily...seeing her pissed me off, that's right, it didn't make me sad, it pissed me off because this heifer smoked for entire pregnancy! What does she get in return? A beautiful baby girl...not only that, from what I hear she drops the baby off at her mom's house and doesn't spend any more time than necessary with the little girl...tell me how that makes sense??? Anyways, I'm ranting...I'm sure YOUR sil is a great lady and it's not her fault what happened with Alexandra but seeing pregnant woman that are close to us is tough!
Praying for your peace XXOO
Oh Maggie, my heart just breaks for you. It is so hard to have these guilty feelings over something we cannot control. They just seem to be there though. Thinking of you!! xo
ReplyDeleteOh Maggie, my heart goes out to you. I still have thoughts outta no where that dive bomb me into the what-ifs and I wonder if those will keep finding thier way into my head for the rest of my life. I think it's natural for us to respond that way, I just have to move those thoughts aside because you are right, we have no control over whether our babes live or die. Grief stinks and you have every right to respond to your SIL the way you do and it's on her to not take it personally and she should give you the space you need.
ReplyDelete(((hugs)))
No blaming. None. We all do it, and all it does is cause ulcers and other bad crap. I still play the 'if I had been more persistent' and the 'perhaps I should have been a sheep' games with myself, but I know in my heart that what happened to Gracie was not going to be prevented. It's all a viscous cycle that gets us nowhere. It sucks ass. As far as the selfishness of grief goes, I cannot tell you how selfish it has made me feel in the last 8.5 months. I have come to the conclusion that it's a route of self preservation and that it is completely normal. We need to do what we need to do to survive - it's not selfishness...it's survival of the fittest. The only other choice is to stay in bed forever with the covers over our heads. Although it's a terrific option once in a while, it's not really who we are or how we want to live. So we do the best we can with what we have to work with. The rest of the world and their perfect lives can kiss our asses. :-) BTW, I am getting ready to send you a FB email completely unrelated to anything in your blog...
ReplyDeleteThe guilt just sucks. :( sorry hon.
ReplyDeleteIf it helps any, I got the H1N1 shot and G got here fine. What scared me more was getting the actual virus and him dying from that. We do what we think is best based on the information we have at the time.
I'm sorry you don't have answers. :( One thing I was grateful for is that I didn't have to wonder what Jessica died from. the cord was so tightly wound around her little ankle it left a welt after the doctor unwound it.
So many things are out of our control.
*hugs*
All the what if's drive me crazy some days. I try to hold them off, but those triggers are hidden some days and we walk right into them. I do think this grief makes us more selfish, but I think it's ok. We can't assimilate back into normal life so quickly, so that selfishness helps us slowly edge our way back in...so we can remember and mourn our children. So many (((hugs))) to you.
ReplyDeleteI am pretty much seconding what all the other girls have said. The guilt will eat you alive if you let it. I know I let it drive me crazy for months after we lost Jonathan. *hugs*
ReplyDelete