April 29, 2010

A year ago today...

I remember everything so well. The week before, we had gone to Florida. Before I left, I took a pregnancy test just to be sure since I was a little off and it was negative. So, we left on vacation. I came down with the worst cold during that trip. I remember feeling exhausted and sick. I even lost my voice, so I had no reason to think I was pregnant at the time.

Then the next week, still late, I decided to take a test. I remember thinking, 'oh it's just going to be negative again, but whatever, let's see' and then there it was...within a matter of seconds my test had turned into a bright pink positive sign. No mistake about it. I looked again and again... yup, that's a plus sign. Then I took a digital test and the word 'pregnant' came up clear as day. I couldn't believe it. I stared at those tests for the longest time. I took a shower with those tests on the counter and after I went into our bedroom and told my husband to turn the light on because I had something to show him. It was before work so he was kind of confused. Then I showed him and said, 'I'm pregnant.'

That's the day everything changed. I remember going into work that day and thinking of a way to call my doctor without people overhearing what I was scheduling my appointment for. I snuck into a conference room. *sigh* I remember feeling so hopeful, so happy, and had so much anticipation, and what did I get in the end? A dead baby. I got to bury my one and only daughter. I learned about funeral arrangements and funeral homes. I learned what autopsy results looked like. I learned about stillbirth. I created a blog. I found new friends (which is the greatest thing of this whole ordeal). :-) 

I just cannot believe that a year ago today I had hopes of bringing my very first baby into the world and starting our family. A year ago I was pregnant. A year ago I had hopes and dreams. A year ago I was afraid of what kind of mother I would be. Could I handle this? Was I ready? What a difference a year makes. And to top it all off... my SIL is in labor as I speak. She has excellent timing. I found out it was a girl on an anniversary of Alexandra's. I got a shower invitation on a bad day. Now she goes into labor on this day? Really? And how did I find this all out? That's the best part. I figured it out all on my own. I won't go into details, but the thing that aggravates me is everyone is so afraid of upsetting me, they just decide to not tell me. "Oh...let's not tell Maggie. We'll tell her later." Seriously? What difference does it make? I'm going to find out eventually. What's the point of the secrecy and tip toeing around my back? What's the point of all of this? So I'm sitting here annoyed that my SIL is having her baby that she will get to take home and annoyed that nobody knows what to say to me or how to approach me because of this whole mess. Lovely. I have an overwhelming urge to just leave the country and start over...or maybe just Hawaii. I'll start a new life there. Who is with me? :-)  We can all just live there together where we all understand each other and nobody is afraid to say the wrong thing or talk to us. It'll be paradise! *sigh* Hating this.

14 comments:

  1. OMG MAGGIE TODAY????? wtf???? WHY TODAY GOD HASNT SHE BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH UGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

    Ok that was my frustration part of this...(((crying with you))))....Im so sorry another one of ALexandra's memories has to be shared with her....Im so sorry that you had to bury your sweet baby...im so sorry i dont live closer to you so I could hold you today and tell you everything is going to be ok, even though we both know words mean Sh*t...I really dont get it!!!! I am all for moving out of the country, but I am afraid of sharks so can we get a pool?? 9 days and counting is all im going to say!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blah about your SIL being in labor today!

    I can recall the same emotions after getting my positive pregnancy test with Lily...I never felt so alive until that day...

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs.

    I remember so vividly as well that positive pregnancy test. The excitement and hope and imagining what would be. Never I did I imagine it would it end up here. And I'm sad that pregnancy is no longer that innocent joy for all of us - yet another thing to grieve.

    Hugs and that sucks about your SIL. Sending strength and love.

    Maddie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a rough day. So sorry you have to deal with all that on top of what you are already feeling.

    You have a lot of people thinking about you though. Many ((hugs)).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd been in for Hawaii too!! I've often wondered what my new normal would be like if everyone got it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when we went to hawaii, we were both like "lets move here!" it would be so awesome to have a fresh start!
    and that sucks about your sister in law. i TOTALLY get it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so there...I would love to be somewhere were everyone just gets it.
    Thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the photos I love them! I am so sorry you are having to deal with today along with your sil in labor. Maybe she will have the baby tomorrow! LOL we can all hope right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie thankyou so much for the photo, i adore it.
    As for the pregnancy tests i did exactly the same thing as you, infact the pink lines are still as clear as day on the stick now but the word pregnant on stick number 2 only stayed there for 2 days.
    Hawaii? i will go, infact i would gladly go anywhere with all of you, after all 'we are family'
    wishing you gentle thoughts and sending you lots of hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the photo, that is so sweet of you!!It's so funny you say that about moving to Hawaii! I researched Hawaii online one day wanting to escape this place too. So, you can count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the excitement of finding out we were pregnant with Jonathan and then the excitement of him being due between Thanksgiving and Christmas....how everything seemed so perfect until....

    *huge hugs* Your sister in law sounds like a big PITA!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in for the islands!!! I know that there are more posts after this one about your SIL and the new baby, but I have not read them yet. God's timing is sometimes impeccable, isn't it??? On the anniversary of my positive home test for Gracie, my 18 y/o unmarried, unattached neighbor girl had her first baby. My BLM panties were all bunched up for a week or two over that one.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved